By Frances Vavrus, Lesley Bartlett
This e-book unites a dynamic staff of students who learn linkages between neighborhood, nationwide, and foreign degrees of academic coverage and perform. using multi-sited, ethnographic methods, the essays discover vertical interactions throughout diversified degrees of coverage and perform whereas prompting horizontal comparisons throughout twelve websites in Africa, Europe, the center East, and the Americas. The vertical case reports specialise in quite a number issues, together with participatory improvement, the politics of tradition and language, neoliberal academic reforms, and schooling in post-conflict settings. Editors Vavrus and Bartlett give a contribution to comparative idea and perform through demonstrating some great benefits of ‘thinking vertically.’
Read or Download Critical Approaches to Comparative Education: Vertical Case Studies from Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and the Americas (International and Development Education) PDF
Best comparative books
Monetary Intergration in East Asia explains different equipment economists use to evaluate how open a country's economy is to family and overseas impacts, and applies those assessments to 10 international locations in East Asia. It explains how a rustic that has an open economy differs from person who is managed.
Even if the sector of constitutional legislations has turn into more and more comparative lately, its geographic concentration has remained restricted. South Asia, regardless of being the location of the world's biggest democracy and a colourful if turbulent constitutionalism, is likely one of the vital ignored areas in the box.
This obtainable textbook compares ways that simple elements of group care are funded, organised and supplied via governmental and non-governmental organisations, permitting practitioners and policy-makers to profit from the reports in their opposite numbers in Europe and North the USA.
- National Reports on the Transfer of Movables in Europe: Volume 2: England and Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Cyprus (European Legal Studies)
- World's Religions
- Critical Approaches to Comparative Education: Vertical Case Studies from Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and the Americas (International and Development Education)
- New Directions in Comparative Law
- Ciba Foundation Symposium - Caste and Race: Comparative Approaches
Extra info for Critical Approaches to Comparative Education: Vertical Case Studies from Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and the Americas (International and Development Education)
1 Likewise, this chapter traces the diffused and often conflicting actions prompted by No Child Left Behind (NCLB), the federal educational policy of the United States, in relation to its Supplemental Educational Services (SES) provisions. 22 Jill P. Koyama In American education, federal policy has long served to politically regulate the efficiency of a schooling system that operates on multiple legislative and organizational levels and to set normative rationales for the actions of the state. Schools and other institutions are obliged to follow federally generated policy.
Interview with Queens middle school principal, November 7, 2006) In the United States, the federal NCLB policy extends the historic promise made in the 1965 Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which stipulated that all children, regardless of race, socioeconomic status, gender, creed, color, or disability, will have equal access to an education that allows them to enjoy the freedoms and exercise the responsibilities of citizenship in our democracy (Wood 2004). S. educational policy.
7. htm. 8. In New York City, the number of SES-eligible students fluctuated between 243,249 in 2002–2003 and 208,016 in 2006–2007. The number of enrolled students was nearly 87,000 during the 2003–2004 academic year. 9. Some schools are designated as “universal free lunch sites” for three years at a time. At these schools, all children are eligible to receive SES. 10. In March, after the SES program ended, boxes of enrollment packets arrived at the very schools that had requested them in September.